Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Camiguin Day 1


An island born in fire, a paradise located north of Misamis Oriental, the first place in Mindanao where I traveled alone. I started my Camiguin sojourn in Davao City. I bought my ticket and rode the Rural bus bound to Cagayan de Oro and from there, I went to Balingoan, Misamis Oriental to catch the first ferry going to the island. It was a gloomy morning and I know there is a possible rain ahead. But it didn't dampen my spirit to visit the best tourist destination in the Northern Mindanao region. 

I reached Camiguin, at the Port of Benoni, after 14 hours of travelling by land and sea. I have to ride a jeep in able to reach the town of Mambajao (Mam-ba-haw). It was a cloudy day and an evidence of a rainy night was all around the place. I alighted at the public market and walk my way to the cheapest hotel available in town, GV hotel. I took a bath and rest for awhile, savoring the softness of the bed I never had from the entire trip.

I decided to start my day in Camiguin by buying foods and stuff that Im going to use for the entire stay in Camiguin. Mine was an open itinerary I don't know how long I am going to roam the island. My very first destination in Camiguin was the Katibawasan Falls. This spectacular waterfalls about 5km from Mambajao drop at 40m high into a pool beside a perfect picnic spot. The water is cold, never tested to swim for I was already having a cold moment because of its elevation. 

My second destination was the Philippine Institute Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) site where the monitoring of activity of the mountains in Camiguin takes place. I saw the pictures of Mt. Hibok-hibok 1950's eruption. 


But my day never end on these destinations. After PHIVOLCS I go back to the hotel take a bath, got a massage, and take a nap. It was already dark when I decided to go and check out Camiguin at night. I took my dinner at a carinderia, they have a lot of food that are new to me so I opted for the familiar, meat balls in sweet and sour sauce that cost 10 pesos/pc and a 5 pesos cup of rice. After that I went to a local beer house, it is more of a karaoke bar minus the standup comedian. I met some locals and invite for a drink, and being person who loves adventure I obliged to their invite had my three bottles of pale pilsen. Thats how my first day in Camiguin ended. I still managed to go back to the hotel.

Damage for my first day in Camiguin

Davao to CDO - 550 pesos
CDO to Port of Balingoan - 136 pesos
Port to Camiguin Island - 135 pesos
Port or Terminal fee - 2.25
Breakfast at Balingoan 45 pesos
Port of Benoni to Mambajao, Camiguin - 23 pesos
Marketing - 300 pesos
Hotel - 330 pesos
Visit to Katibawasan and Phivolcs - 180 pesos


No comments:

Post a Comment